DO YOU WANT TO NAVIGATE YOUR CUSTOMERS TO THE RIGHT SHELF IN THE STORE? DO YOU WANT TO INFORM THEM ABOUT AN ONGOING PROMOTION OR COMPETITION, “SELL” ADDITIONAL INFORMATION OR EMPHASISE THE MOST IMPORTANT ADVANTAGES OF A PRODUCT? FOR THIS PURPOSE, USE ADVERTISING MATERIALS LIKE POS (POINT OF SALE)!
WHY ARE THEY SO EFFECTIVE?
Studies demonstrate that even ⅔ shopping decisions are made in shops. We prepare shopping lists, and go to shops to buy specific products. Yet, we make our final decisions at the store shelf, because the information about products entices us while we are there. 69% customers find out about product prices from labels on store shelves. Nonetheless, we also pay attention to promotional newsletters and other POS materials. We buy things using our eyes – research demonstrates that in over 60% consumers, while in the shop, the brand awareness rises and in ¾ of people surveyed the tendency to buy products also increases.
DO YOU KNOW THE MOST POPULAR FORMATS?
- Brochures with products, leaflets, promotional newsletters distributed at shop entrances, added to shopping at checkouts or visible in the immediate proximity of promoted products on branded stands.
- Wobblers a so-called wobbler – a smaller medium on an elastic belt, which can be set in motion by customers.
- Price labels placed on a shop shelf, they set apart the information about the price of a product.
- Stands expose products outside the shop shelf – they play the role of a stillage or a bookcase.
- Hangers ads hanging from the ceiling. They are usually larger than other ads.
- Checkout displays with products displayed at the checkout.
- Stickers or sticker art (slap tagging) often placed on the shop floor or transparent spaces (e.g. freezer door) .
- Shelf stoppers horizontal advertisements hanging along the store shelf.
- Expositors presenting products outside the shop shelf.
- A-boards or swing signs they are put up in front of shops or eating places.
- Lightboxes illuminated panels with information.
WHAT INFORMATION SHOULD BE FEATURED IN PROMOTIONAL MATERIALS
- Prices should be visible and set apart
research shows that it may increase sales by even several dozen percent. It is advisable to use so – called “magic of price endings” – cutting a couple of cents from the overall price makes the human brain perceive the difference in price as value for money.
- Ongoing promotions
information about a competition or price-cutting should also attract customers’ attention. If a given brand is a known leader e.g. on television – it will be worthwhile to look after the cohesion of POS materials with other marketing activities. Using the image of the figure known from the ad will catch the customer’s eye.
- Virtues of the product
distinguishing features of the product, exceptional ingredients, effectiveness of the product supported by research results and novelty – this information should be displayed near the shop shelf.
WHERE IN THE SHOPPING AREA SHOULD WE PLACE THE POS?
In large-area stores stands, hangers and other larger formats, for customers’ comfort, should be displayed at the exits of shopping aisles. Shelf stoppers, price tags or labels, and wobblers should be installed near the promoted Hangers are meant to make customers look up (e.g. at products placed above), whereas information stuck to the floor will remind them of directional arrows directing them to chosen products. At the checkout, you will find the space for counter displays and expositors with smaller products that you can add to your basket. Trends in POS materials designs are inclined towards interactive formats – touchscreens, installations attracting us with sound and light effects (sensory branding is really effective!). However, in that all we should remember about moderation, so that the excess of information will not cause decision-paralysis in customers.